Monday, October 17, 2011

When I Was A Little Girl

When I was a little girl, food was important. But not more important than being healthy.
My mother stressed the necessity of utilizing fresh, simple and few ingredients.
Her seasoning staples were:
  1. Salt
  2. Pimento (Caribbean spice; not pepper; also  known as “all spice”)
  3. Scotch Bonnet peppers
  4. Escallion
  5. Thyme
  6. Garlic
  7. Onion
We frequently went to the Downtown market on a Saturday to get fresh, local ingredients.
My mother fed us (my older brother and I), fruits, vegetables; chicken and fish were our only meat.

This was encouraged by my father.

And so I shall speak on the food philosophy of my father...

My father is a vegan and has been so for as long as I can remember.
He was/is a vegan way before the term was invented.
Back then, people who ate no animal products or byproducts were simply, vegetarians.
Daddy was/is a bee farmer.
My dad also disliked the unnecessary use of salt. He also disliked the unnecessary use of sugar; not surprising since he made honey.

So can you imagine how unprocessed and healthy our home cooked meals were?!

When I was a little girl I enjoyed dancing, karate, walking, playing sports and was a typical outdoors person.
As I’ve gotten older, my habits changed. My lifestyle changed. Not totally, but it changed.
And over the past 2 years,  I became sedentary.
For the past year, I‘ve been experiencing symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. And I am SICK of it.

When I look back and compare my life then to now, I can certainly see that I am not doing the best I can.

My aim now is to revert to when I was a little girl AND kick IBS!